Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 4 of our "Clean"

We've been doing pretty good so far. The first day was EASY! I don't know if it was the adrenalie, or the pure coconut milk in our first morning smoothie, but we started off really well. So, basically what we're doing is have two liquid meals and one regular meal a day. You have to end with a liquid meal, and then fast for 12 hours, which means absolutely NO snacking after dinner...which is the hardest for both Joe and I. I'm so proud of him especially, because he's been a BIG snacker at night.
I went to the store and bought some of the most important ingredients for the first couple of days, which included kale, carrots, quinoa, wild rice, pineapple, mango, almonds to make my own almond milk (yes, you read correctly!) etc. Some of the foods, I had to look up, because I seriously had never heard of them, like:

Chia seeds ( apparently, a super food seed, which can be added to your smoothie)
Dulse flakes (a kind of sea weed, but very rubbery...I have not tasted it yet, I'm a a little scared of it, to tell you the truth!)
Nama shoyu ( a wheat free soy sauce)

I think the most difficult part is planning ahead. I have to make sure, Joe has his Shake in the morning and his lunch packed and ready, which means I have to cook a day ahead. So that's a big change, because I don't normally start thinking about what to cook for dinner that same morning. But so far so good.
Also, the portions are enormous! Most days I find myself with left overs, even with us sharing the food! The book says that the recipes are for two, well, you could easily feed a three if not four! So today, I had actually planned the Watercress and Shaved Fennel Salad with Seared Tuna, but we found ourselves finish the Lentil Salad and I added a grilled chicken breast, because I felt like I needed that extra protein.
Here are some pictures of what we've been eating:

Berry Smoothie with Coconut Milk and Cinnamon



Roast Chicken with Balsamic Vinegar. Garlic, and Rosemary Wild Rice Pilaf



Stir Fried Vegetables and Chicken with Buckwheat Noodles



Not bad, right?

They also aren't joking when they say in the book to make sure you pay close attention to your bowel movements! They suggested to buy a "natural diuretic" and so we bought something called Swiss Kriss. I know what you think, but no I didn't buy it because I am Swiss. I actually wanted to get Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula to "promote daily, generous bowel movements" but Whole Foods didn't have it. All I can say is, they do what they promise, maybe more than you hoped for!

The biggest cravings I'm fighting right now, are chocolate, eggs, my Earl Grey tea, and and the occasional Starbucks Dark Cherry Mocha...

But we added something to keep me from thinking about those things too much; they're called Marshmallow and Rose. Welcome our newest addition to our family!




We adopted them over the weekend, completely spontaneous and unplanned, but they've already added a lot of fun and excitement to our daily lives! They are mother and son and were found half starved before they ended up with a foster family. Sofia had the important job of naming them, and I think she did a great job! Needless to say, she is over the moon!

So, with that I wish you a good night and happy fasting!

1 comment:

Janine Evans said...

wow. the ingredients sound wonderful and so super healthy. the meals look yummy!
I'm still so impressed that you're doing this. :)